Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tres Queso Lasagna & Magnum bars

Hello Everyone!


Week 6 is already here! I leave Monday, October 12th from the CCM to go to Culiacán. I leave here around 4 in the morning and my flight is at 8:05 am. The flight is going to be about an hour and 45 minutes so not too bad. I found out that I am the only gringo leaving for Culiacán out of 9 other Latino missionaries. I get to play soccer with the missionaries going to my mission so that has been fun. I brought three suitcases and a backpack. They allow one bag free and the other luggage to be checked is going to be 800 pesos. Luckily that's only about $48 in American money. My carry on has to be less than 22 pounds so that will be fun trying to figure out how to accomplish that. The weight of my backpack doesn't matter so i'm going to try to fit as much as I can in there. I've given away a few of my things just to get rid of some weight. I will probably pack Saturday night and weigh it to see if my luggage is overweight or not. Crossing my fingers!
Travel Plans


This has been a pretty rough week health wise again. On Sunday I caught a nasty head cold that is still going on right now. The food this week has also decided not to agree with me this week so that has been crappy. Hope it's not like that for me in Culiacán. But other than that, it's been another good week!


On Saturday and Sunday we had the chance to watch General Conference. All the missionaries in the CCM watched it in the Gordon B. Hinckley auditorium. Thank goodness it was in English! There were so many awesome talks in conference this year. It was cool to see three new apostles called to the Quorum of the 12. I know they are ready and inspired men. I have gained a new appreciation for conference as a missionary. I was able to stay awake for all 5 of the sessions. I took a lot of notes and learned a lot from the great leaders of the church. It's hard to pick a favorite, but probably my favorite talk was by Henry B. Eyring about the power of the Holy Ghost. He talked about how we need the constant influence of the Spirit in our lives to guide us and enlighten our minds. The Holy Ghost is so important in our lives, especially us missionaries. You can never go wrong if you have the guidance of the Spirit. 


Another talk I really like was David A. Bednar's talk that closed the last session commemorating the lives and teachings of the prophets and apostles that have passed from this mortal life. Bednar has always been one of my favorites. I learned a lot about faith and the Atonement of Jesus Christ this conference. Their testimonies strengthen mine so much.

New Classroom



Our devotionals this week have been amazing as well! Presidente Tenorio gave a devotional about saying specific prayers. This was probably the highlight of the week. One story he told was really cool. 

This one sister raised her hand and said she had a problem. She said that she was soon to be engaged to one guy, but there was another guy that wanted to date her. She didn't know how to choose. He then told her that night to say a specific prayer. He told her to go to her room at 10:30 and tell her roommate to leave for a few minutes. He then told her to pray to her Heavenly Father, give gratitude for her blessings, and then plead her case before the Lord. He told her to be specific and explain thoroughly. Afterwards he told her to pray that at 1:15 in the morning, she would receive a phone call from a guy that would say he had been reading his patriarchal blessing which read he would marry a worthy young woman in the temple, and that this boy thought the girl was the one. She would then close this prayer. President Tenorio said she didn't have to do it exactly like this, but that would be the format. So she did exactly as he said. She then went to sleep and at 1:15 a.m she received a phone call from a boy. The boy said he had been reading his patriarchal blessing and that he thought she was the one he was supposed to marry. The scenario went exactly as stated in the prayer. So... long story short, she chose him. Fast forward into the future, President Tenorio saw this couple again and asked the boy if he knew that he was supposed to call her at 1:15 in the morning. The boy had no clue that it was because of a prayer. By the way, the boy she chose was the one that was wanting to date her. That was a really cool story to me and he told countless other stories of awesome Specific Prayers. I am not saying that if you pray tonight for a similar experience it will happen immediately, but if you start little by little, the Lord will answer your prayers. 

On Tuesday the devotional a MTC address by Elder Holland also about the Holy Ghost. My favorite part was when he said that we as missionaries are involved in the work of angels. And we are those angels who administer to those that we serve in our mission and it's our responsibility to be worthy of the Spirit to bless their lives.


Our lessons with our investigators are going alright. We are starting to focus more on their needs and learning how to teach people and not lessons. Hermano Silva has been a great teacher as always. He was sick yesterday though. Hermano Medina is starting to be less strict and has really gotten comfortable with us. He likes to joke around with us and we share the food we get in our packages with him. He brought his wife and kids to the comedor yesterday and they were so cute! Our nighttime teacher, we have learned, is quite the jokester! Hermano Medina. His English isn't the best; I think he learned just from being at the CCM, but he is a pretty sassy dude, haha. We told him that Thursday night we weren't going to be in class, because we had to help the new District, and he just says 'I don´t care' in his English attempted accent haha. We all were just like oh okay then haha. Then on Friday, I asked if he was born in the Church and he replies 'No, I was born in a hospital...' I still do not know the answer, haha because he always finds a way to answer sarcastically or in a different way.


Lunch was awesome on Friday too! Probably the best tasting course I have had here at the CCM. It was this Tres Queso Lasagna and it tasted really good. They werent that big of pieces, but Elder Cordon and I partook of 3 servings haha. And the next day we got Magnum bars which are chocolate ice cream bars which are really good. Other than that I have not become a big fan of the food here and I'm excited to eat the good stuff.


Friday was a really good day!! Each day the weather here is quite sporadic though. In the Mornings it is quite cold and sometimes it stays that way throughout the day, sometimes it is pretty sunny. This week has been really hot! Probably about 95. Elder Cordon and I played soccer for a few hours today for P day. Playing soccer is really fun even tho neither of us are fantastic players. I usually just hustle and kick the ball as hard as I can. I am averaging about 3 goals each time we play. We brought our Suits and Pants to the dry cleaners today before we head out. Things are a lot cheaper here than outside the CCM.


We received a new district in our zone! District 16B. They have 4 Hermanas and 4 Elders and are pretty cool! Elder Cordon and I had to be the acting Zone Leaders and help them get adjusted and give them some nice tips. It is pretty cool! Turns out they weren´t going to call any new Zone Leaders, because the Zone was so small and it would be pointless, but we have been fulfilling the role anyways. Also, the new Latinos in the CCM that arrived last week are pretty sweet! We played futsol with them and they are so fun!

Mural in Reception


My goals are going alright too. I've been focusing on reading Preach My Gospel this week and marking the suggested scriptures. My Spanish is not where I want it to yet but I'm still learning each and every day. Talking to the Latinos is getting easier I think. My Spanish will get a lot better in the field when i'm with my trainer who is a native and he can't understand my English haha.


We took pictures as a district on Monday, said goodbye to another district in our zone. Commenced round 3 of The Secret Missionary Society; I do not know how they were received, but hopefully they got them and liked them. Oh on Sunday we also watched a great film called "How rare a possession: The Book of Mormon" It is a way cool story of two individuals who found the Book of Mormon and how it affected their lives. I recommend it!



I'm excited for the real deal! I'm ready to teach the most important message on the Earth! This is going to be an experience of a lifetime and knowing that I have the Lord's help in all things is so comforting to know. There are specific people in Culiacán waiting to be taught be me! The CCM has been fun and I will miss all the friends I have made here. I will see many in Utah and BYU though. I know this is Gospel is true and that it has and will change peoples lives forever! Thanks again for the emails and support. Take Care!


Elder Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment